Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sibling Frolics

Mom use to work well into the evening every night and I use to have to race home after school to take care of my little brother. Moving from a country schoolhouse in Ontario to a small apartment in Edmonton made me resentful at times. Not about looking after my little brother since I always remember having that responsibility but of having no freedom to choose activities or settings in which to be a kid. The small apartment was dull and drearily white compared to the sunshine and greenery of Ontario's rolling hills and sparkling creeks.


 

Roy and I use to fight and bicker with each other constantly and one night I was sick of it. I told him to try an experiment with a knitting needle that was lying on the floor. Usually we played with Miss Prissy, our white kitten using the knitting needle to have her run around the whole living room, yet this night I thought it would be more fun to see how shocked my brother would be and maybe he would stop pestering me.


 

So I pointed to a light socket and told him to put the knitting needle into it. He had no problem with this and jumped up, scooped up the needle and, faster than I realized it happened, jammed it into the electrical socket with a resounding 'ZZap.' He flew back landing on his ass, his fingers on his right hand smoking as he held his palm wide open, a burn line engraved deep in his palm.

        -not finished

No comments: